MS student working with data at Simon Business School

Make a smart investment—the smart way.

An investment in your future is one of the best investments you can make, and a Simon MS degree will open doors to new career opportunities.

We know funding your program is an important consideration, and we are pleased to make that a bit easier for many qualified applicants by offering merit-based scholarships. In addition, we encourage you to explore loans and other resources—explained below—to finance your graduate business education. 

Business Woman Icon

Student Employment

Most students find that life as a Simon master’s student is very demanding. We want our students to gain the most from their time in graduate school, and employment obligations (aside from relevant project work and internships) can limit your involvement in school activities. We encourage your focus to be on taking advantage of the many learning opportunities offered locally and globally throughout your program.

International students may work up to 20 hours per week. However, only a small percentage of our students pursue campus employment due to the academic rigor of the program, as well as the time typically allocated to extra-curricular activities, social activities, and the internship/employment search. International students may not work off campus during the first academic year of their program—which amounts to two semesters—as governed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Thereafter, authorization to work off campus is required for summer internships or during the academic year.

Simon Graduate Assistant (GA) positions are available on a selective basis to some MS students. GA roles in administrative offices typically involve an interview and selection process. There are also opportunities within the University for on-campus student employment.

Simon Students Studying Art

Globe Coin and Arrow Icons

Loans and Other Resources

We encourage international students to consider a variety of ways to help fund business school, including federal loans; scholarships; employment; personal savings; family funds; company or government sponsorship; and other outside loans, grants, and scholarships.

Loans are disbursed through the Financial Aid Office; visit the University of Rochester’s financial aid website for additional information. 

International students do not quality for US Federal loan programs unless they are permanent residents of the United States. An international student may apply for a private alternative source of funding, but a United States citizen or permanent resident is typically required as a co-borrower. For a complete list of loans that current University of Rochester undergraduate and graduate students are taking—so you can find the best fit for you based on your eligibility—visit 

Additional helpful resources can be found below:
  • Financial Aid for Graduate Students
  • eduPASS logo
  • FinAid logo
  • elmselect logo
  • Fastweb logo

Several resources exist for international students seeking financial aid to study in the US. Some banks will authorize loans to international students, provided that the student has a credit-worthy US co-signer to guarantee the loan. Also, some lenders may offer collateral loans or loans secured by a credit-worthy foreign citizen. Simon does not offer no-cosigner loan options.

Disclaimer: The University of Rochester does not maintain a preferred lender list. Thus, the University has no agreements or relationships with any lenders and does not receive any benefit, financial or otherwise, from the use of alternative loans by students.